Friday, May 1, 2009

Dispatches from the Swine Flu Front

Apparently everyone but me here is concerned about the swine flu, with prodigious amounts of sanitizer being dispensed everywhere I go, schools closing, and the media talking about swine flu like the world is ending. However, instead of running around like a chicken, I went to a mass on May Day for St. Joseph the Worker, which was in German. It was an amazing experience and makes me feel weird that I observe both Labor Day and May1st. Maybe I have more in common with the recently mocked "Christian Capitalist wearing a union jacket" guy than I think!

On an economic note, the Chrysler bankruptcy seems like such a strange spectacle. Chrysler, a company known for making gas guzzling POS's, will merge with a car company known for making matchbox size cars. Granted, Fiat does have some ownership of good car companies such as Ferrari and Maserati, but those operate autonomously. Fiat has this monstrosity which shows they are compatible with the lack of design that is Chrysler:


Well, the best thing about that car is that its hideous facade could be used to scare away the swine flu. This Chrysler bankruptcy is an amazing animal. The only people who seem to be putting any money up are the US taxpayer, to the tune of eight billion big ones. Maybe it is because I am just a provincial bumpkin, but doesn't a firm have to put down money to purchase another firm, or am I living in some kind of backwards utopian world? Next thin you will know, I will be believing in such fantasies as student loans cause tution to rise, leading to more student loans.

No comments: